Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Truth About French Bread

The rumor that all French people walk around with long loaves of bread under their arms is completely true. People here are wild about their baguettes, moreso than I ever would have imagined. When I first got to Paris I was surprised to see the bread love that was going on here, probably because I had a very wrong idea as to what French bread really is. A French person would laugh and blow his smoke in your face if you gave him a loaf of Albertsons French bread and said 'bon appetite'. That's rediculous. Genuine French bread has a super chewy (I mean like you have to have jaws-o-steel) crust and a very soft inside. I'm pretty sure that the reason the French language is spoken with your mouth almost entirely closed is because everyone out here usse up all their jaw strength eating bread. And its not like the stuff really tastes wonderful, its more used as a vehicle on which to transport cheese into your mouth, or to just chew on because its there. You never ever ever put garlic butter on it. Ever. As you can tell from the picture below, if you don't eat your French bread within about a day it goes hard as a rock and is only good for dipping in Ramen Noodles. This is why people are always carrying it about, you have to buy it every day. Its great fun to watch people bang their loaves against walls, and drop it, or get it all wet in the rain, and then they eat it like there's nothing to it. I, on the other hand, have discovered, and use faithfully, the Wal*Mart approach, which is buying about five at a time for really cheap and then just keeping them in an airtight sack. A really long airtight sack. I'm gonna kinda miss French bread and the cheese it transports, but not anywhere as much as I miss Slurpees and Peanut Butter.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Oh man, I know what you mean about the bread. I loved the bread in Russia, and I still miss it so. It was delovely.