Monday, August 14, 2006

Metro Rats

What blog site about Paris would be complete without at least one posting dedicated to Paris's perfect little metro system. Of course, by perfect I don't mean comfortable, just very well planned out. I can't believe that the train makes it to all those stations and that they never run into each other. The metro itself is the perfect way to get around, unless you happen to be in town during a heat wave (like the three weeks that Sara was here). That super endearing picture of me on the top there was taken while we were driving along on line three, the line that goes from Levallois to Galieni. Since the Louis Michel (as seen in the station list on the wall next to my head) station is less than a block from my apartment, and the line traverses the entirety of historic Paris, I spend almost all my metro time on this line, then branch off a little bit if I need to go north or south. The next picture down is Sara on the platform waiting for the next train. You usually don't have to wait more than five minutes. This picture was taken at the Arts et Métiers station, which is where you get off of line three and onto line 11 in order to go to church, the Cat of ND or the Pompidou Centre. And the last picture is my dear wife having a great time traveling all the way from Arts et Métiers to Louis Michel. The seats are pretty comfortable when there aren't about a gazillion people all over you. I was just talking to some folks at church yesterday who were telling me that the New York subway has air conditioned cars and that the Washington DC subway has air conditioned stations and platforms. Holy Cow!! I've just gotta witness that. The metro is some sort of amazing miracle, and I'm not just talking about the smell.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Having been on both the New York Subway and the DC metro, I can vouch for the statement about air conditioning. I think. I guess I was in New York in March, when AC wouldn't have been necessary. By April though, DC would have needed it, and it was always pretty nice.