Monday, August 14, 2006

Place de la Republique

After you've been in Paris for a super long time you start to wonder what amazing things there are left to see. For the last three weeks I've been spending my Saturday mornings looking at the map and trying to locate all the neat stuff that I don't want to miss and then setting out to find them. The statue pictured is found at the Place de la Republique, sort of in the North East of Paris. I haven't been up that way much, so I figured I'd go and scope it out. There it was, just as advertised. This is in commemoration of the French Revolution. It was pretty big (the revolution and the statue). I was fixin' to go right up next to it to get a better picture but the road was all full of construction and traffic and I didn't want to get hit by a car or a steam roller and die. Its a cool monument though, you really can't tell how big it is in this picture. I'm not sure what that nice lady is holding up in her hand there, but it was large. Some kind of a leaf or something. Wikipedia doesn't have an article about this so I probably ought to look it up elsewhere, but I'm not gonna.

No comments: