Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The Hotel Biron


Here is a picture of my beautiful femme behind the Hôtel Biron. Auguste Rodin lived in the hotel from 1908 until his death in 1917. A few days before Auguste died he donated the hotel and all his works (and the works of others, including paintings by Van Gough and Renoir) to the French government under the condition that they turn the place into the Musée Rodin. This just proves to you that Rodin could see the future. He probably knew that in 1968 the French government would pass the dation law stating that the huge tax on those that inherit works of art can actually be paid through the donation of those works of art to the government. That was smart, eh? It is sure an easier way to "acquire" stuff than the Napolean method. So here's my current dilemma. There is a Rodin museum in pretty much every continent, and each of their websites seem to claim to have the original Thinker, the original Gates of Hell, and the original The Kiss. So where are the originals? Heck, you can see the Thinker in three different places in Paris alone. If anyone has any idea where all this stuff is, could you please let me know. Even my beloved Wikipedia seems to be confused. Aren't those cool hedges. In about twenty years you'll discover these exact hedges in my backyard. I wonder how I'll get them onthe plane.

No comments: