Monday, August 14, 2006

Bears, Benches, and Alligators

We usually only stop and pose for pictures in museums if the work of art is really really cool, and not so famous that the picture just reaks of tourism. Such is the case with these two pictures taken in the Musée d'Orsay. Most of the sculptures in the museum are towards the center of the zeroth floor and on the terrace of the second floor. Besides some of the paintings, the sculptures on the terrace are my favorite part of the museum. You'll see Sara to the right with this cool polar bear. She liked him mostly because of his smile, which I tried to brighten up in the picture, but I don't think it really worked. Ever since I saw the alligator statue that I'm next to I knew I had to get a picture with it. I like how the alligator's tail is touching the ground and how this one guy is saving the day for the two naked women and their babies. What a hero. There's another statue similar to this one on the other side featuring the same guy saving the same chicks from a vicious eagle, but we all know that alligators are way cooler than eagles. Those Boy Scouts have no clue. Sorry, I just gotta draw your attention to the fact that none of the people on the super oversized and uncomfortable bench next to our statues have their feet up on the benches. This is because the museum staff spends countless hours patrolling the benches for such a thing. Sara, being a bit less gifted in the height spectrum could only be comfortable on the bench with her feet up, and when the guy told her to put them on the floor she asked why and he said, "that's just how we do things in France". Grrr. That's all fine and good to keep the benches clean, but wouldn't those six people on bench guarding duty be better off guarding the priceless works of art in the museum? I kid you not, I never saw a single guard in the galleries, just around the benches. I should probably stop now for my own good. Pretty cool statues though. Check out how neat the ceiling decorations and the clock are too, I really like this museum.

No comments: