Tuesday, August 08, 2006

1688 steps

422 steps lead to the top of the South bell tower. Sara and I stepped on each one of them twice; once on the way up and once on the way down. So that means that in total we went through 1688 stairs. The cool thing about the stairs is that the higher you go up, the skinnier the stairs are. It is sort of like something you'd see in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. Are these stairs getting smaller, or am I getting bigger? Add the fact that you are constantly spiraling about as you climb, and that the stairwells are sort of dark, and you have quite the recipe for queeziness. Fortunately we made a few stops along the way, including in front of this neat window. This country is full to the brim with spiral staircases, which are very nice and super space efficient, but are often very unpredictable. You can never quite tell how much further you have to go before you reach the top. I thought I would be running out of gravity after we climbed for a long time. Bruno was telling me that ancient buildings in France have staircases that twist around to the right as you climb so that attacking soldiers won't be able to use their right hands to cut people up as they ascend since their left hand's shield will be in the way. This makes sense to me, and I've noticed that he's quite right. I thought the windows were pretty cool.

No comments: