Friday, August 11, 2006

Paris to Orleans

There was no way on Earth that Sara and I were going to wait in that long terrible line I had to wait in when I went to the Musée d'Orsay a few months ago. For that reason we played it smart and got to the building early on Saturday morning, just as the museum was opening and walked right in. We paid for tickets first, of course. Just as I expected, Sara really liked the museum, and I liked it a lot more this time with her than I did last time all by myself. As a reminder, The Musée d'Orsay used to be the train station that people going between Paris and Orleans would go through, but since has become the house of all Parisian works of art completed between 1848 and 1914. It probably wouldn't be incorrect to say that if you are the sort of person who would rather look at a bunch of famous paintings that are aren't religious, the Musée d'Orsay is a better choice than the Louvre. Of course, you probably ought to go to both, they are just across the river from one another. Beyond the art itself, I am a big fan of the ornate carvings and details in the walls and floors of the building, plus I like the lay out here because it is nearly impossible to get lost, whereas in the Louvre search and rescue parties are organized nearly every ten minutes. The picture of me was taken up on the roof of the building, that's the Louvre behind me. Only patrons that know the super secret route to the roof are allowed access.

No comments: