Monday, August 14, 2006

The Paris Mosque

My last unkown Paris sight to look at was the Paris Mosque. As you likely know, a mosque is where the members of the Muslim faith go to worship. This explains the big moon and star on the roof there. I'll be honest with you, the mosque wasn't anywhere near as cool as I thought it might be given the hype it often recieves in the tour booklets. Perhaps my mind has been closed by the grandeur of so many of the other churches in the area. It was quite a walk to get there too since I walked there from Nick Flamel's house by the Pompidou Centre, and the mosque is in the South East of Paris next door to the Jardin de Plantes and the Paris Zoo. There was some pretty neat architecture on the outside, very different from the standard Paris church. The spire is 33 meters high, and the church itself was finished in 1926. I went inside to see the gardens and fountains that they have in there, but the fountains weren't running, and they had the gardens roped off. Maybe I just chose a bad day to visit the place. I do like the front door though, its like a piece of the Middle East in the middle of Paris. And who doesn't want to have some of the Middle East? Maybe if I knew more about the muslim faith I would like the mosque more. I do know that the muslims in Paris wear some really cool and colorful clothes. I like them a lot.

No comments: