Monday, May 15, 2006

The Thinker


Everyone has heard of this statue, but I believe there are few who are familiar with where it is, or who sculpted it. I doubt anyone knows what it means, or why it is so famous. Clearly, it is in Paris. The sculptor was François-Auguste René Rodin, who, if he weren't a reputable sculptor would definitely attain fame due to his wild beard. Just across the street from the tomb of Napolean, and down the road from the Eiffel Tower is the Rodin Museum with one of the most gorgeous and cheapest little gardens in the exterior. The gardens are lined with his amazing sculptures. He said the Thinker was supposed to represent intelect and poetry. I think the whole time Rodin was just trying to create a question in everyone's mind of, "what is this guy thinking about?". No one really knows, but I submit he is thinking, "Where did I put my pants?" Or perhaps, "Where am I ever going to find shoes large enough to fit my huge out-of-proportion feet?". It was incredible to see the original Thinker.

No comments: