Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Sacre Coeur, inside and out


Here's a bit of a feeling of the sort of hill that Montmartre is. Tall. The hill is always covered with loungers, both French and tourist, who are drawn to the view more than the Basilica. Of course, there are a fair share of tourist harrassers at the same time, but they are very ignorable. The two horse-mounted statues atop the large front door of the building are Joan of Arc and King Saint Louis IX. The outside of the building is magnificant, but you must experience the inside. No cameras were allowed, but I would have felt just rotten taking pictures anyway. One of the largest mosaics in the world is of Christ and his Sacred Heart surrounded by Maries and apostles. Holy Cow it is amazing. The stained glass windows are beautiful, and quite different from those in most cathedrals. I found the interior so impressive I sat and stared for a long time. Before I knew it mass had started so I stayed to listen. The nuns had the most beautiful singing voices which reverberated throughout the building as though I were surrounded by angels. This, and the organ, and the French, and the beauty, and the text we sang, all contributed to a very spiritual experience. I must go again.

No comments: