Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Grand Canal at Versailles


After sitting alongside the Grand Canal reading and watching a bunch of people get way into their game of croquet, I decided that I would walk to the other end of the canal. When I got the far end (waaaay out there) I discovered that the canal then extends for what must be miles out the left and the right. I tried to walk all the way around, but I just couldn't ever see an end. And this isn't a river, Louis had this built. He must have been quite full of himself. Wow. When Sara comes out we're totally going to take one of those little row boats out on the canal and see how far out there it goes, I'm dying to know. This is such a neat place, I must have walked around it for hours, and I doubt I saw even a quarter of the grounds. Next time I head out that way I think I'll cough up the 25€ and go into the palace to see the hall of mirrors. Hopefully by then they will be all finished up with the construction. Oh yeah, I wanted to tell you that during the times that the fountains are running they play an opera that was performed for the first time for King Louis back in the 1700s. You can't hear it in this picture because the gardens are so huge. The music is a good feel though.

1 comment:

Kason said...

You never had a chance to go to Versailles! Scandilous. I don't know why, but while i was there I thought it would be really fun for Sara and I to race you and Nathen in row boats down that Grand Canal thing. Let's do it some day.