Thursday, May 11, 2006

According to a popular novel...


I kind of feel bad that the only picture of Saint Sulpice that I'm going to upload is this one, but I felt so bad taking pictures of all the other cool stuff. There are a lot of original mural - sized paintings by Delacroix in nearly every little chapel inside the church, but I just didn't feel it would be appropriate to take a picture in a room full of candles and worshippers. I tell you though, the interior of Saint Sulpice is incredible, that Delacroix knew how to paint. This is the obelisque at the far North end of the legendary Rose Line in the nave of the cathedral. I felt alright taking a picture since everybody else was. There's a big sign next to it disclaiming all the things written in a "recently written novel". I'm sorry, I find it far too odd to have a huge Egyptian pillar in the middle of a Christian church without some reason. I guess the viewer is allowed to be the judge. Generally the entire city is a-buzz about the Da Vinci Code. THe only negative comments I ever hear are those said by signs on monument walls. I'd post a bunch of exterior shots, but the place was covered in scaffolding. Perhaps in August it will be gone. Yes, the stained glass windoas are incredible.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I read the book and I remember all the talk about Egyptian Obelisks, but I don't remember specifics. I probably read it too fast. Maybe the movie will jog my memory.