Thursday, May 25, 2006

Monument to all the Dead at Pére Lachaise


Today marks the 40th day since Easter, known as Ascension Thursday. Nobody in the country has to work today, but they do tomorrow. That's a bit weird, eh? Whatever, it just means for me that I get a day off. On the airplane ride over here, the French couple sitting next to me recommended that I go and see the Pére Lachaise Cemetary. When I looked it up on the internet I was surprised to see the all star cast that is buried at this, the largest cemetary in the country. I decided that I would celebrate Memorial Day a little early and go check it out. I invited my buddy Bruno to come along. We pulled out the list of the famous deceased, circled the ones we wanted to see, and set out to search them down. Our first stop was this monument built over eight years and dedicated to the memory of all the dead in the cemetary. The monument is very sad, and it certainly set the appropriate mood for such a sacred piece of land. The top ledge features couple walking together into the gates of the after life. Originally the woman at the left of the door had her hand on the shoulder of her husband across the way, but her arm has since fallen off. The bottom pier features a very skinny couple and their baby being swept away by an angel after dying of hunger. Honestly, I have never seen a more moving and heart-wrenching sculpture. It sort of just sucks you in. I am so glad to know that I'll be able to live with my dear wife and family even after death. Death is a lot less tragic under such a knowledge.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Staycia was moved by this picture and your comments. She started to cry. Thanks Kason for touching a young woman's heart!