Monday, May 15, 2006

The Gates of Hell


These are the Gates of Hell, for those of you who didn't recognize them from your dreams. These gates were commisioned to be the doors to the Decorative Arts Musum, but after 37 years Rodin never finished them. This is definitely my favorite of the works at the Rodin museum. You can see that in the gates Rodin included miniatures of all his favorite works. I think the reason I like his style is that he has found ways to put arms and legs in the most incredible positions, giving each piece just the right feeling. I mean who really thinks with his arm all twisted and his hand in his throat? But it is perfect to represent intelect and thought. It seems that no two images are looking the same direction or have the same limb positions. The Rodin museum is a must see while in Paris, even if you qren't familiar with the artist.
Sorry I made the picture so large...I just really like this piece.

No comments: