Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Whistle Lady and the Regent Diamond

Hey look, we're inside the Louvre. I find it impossible to ever know where you are while inside this terribly huge building. We'll be walking and walking and eventually I get to wondering how in the world we will ever get out, and then about that time I find myself right back where I started from. Every so often you'll come across a window looking into the courtyard, yet there will be no way out in either direction, as though the window was just taunting you, and the people outside are basking in their freedom while I am consigned to be lost in the Louvre unitl I die. Don't get me wrong, I really like the place, but after a while, my brain and I really need a bit of fresh air. Here's a funny story though, after walking along what must have been about nineteen miles of gallery filled with shiny furniture we came across (intentionally) ol' King Louis XV's crown, and the regent diamond. In what has become an instinctual reaction I turned on the video camera and started filming away. After only a few seconds some museum lady whistled at me and said "no cameras" in a less than kind fashion. Apparently, there is a tiny little sign posted on the other end of the gallery facing the incoming crowd. How dare I not see that! There were probably about three other malefactors doing the same thing before we left the exhibit. You'd think someone (whistle lady) would get smart and put a sign NEXT TO THE EXHIBIT!! I guarantee you, if I'd had known I wouldn't have even thought about filming it, but now that I know it forced the whistle lady to work a bit harder, I'm glad I did. If anyone wants to see footage of Louis' crown, come on over. By the way, the Regent Diamond is 141 carats and has been in the crowns of Louis XV, Napolean Bonaparte, Charles X, Louis XVIII, and Napolean III. It was also used as an adornment in one of Marie Antoinette's hats, and as a jewel on the hilt of Napolean's sword. In 1791 its apraised value was £480,000, which means it is currently worth a whole lot more.

No comments: