Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Da Vince Code at The Louvre


Look who we came across at the Louvre! Also, I had to include the picture on the bottom there because I think it is pretty good. I figure that since I am posting Louvre pictures I ought to say that Sara and I went to see The Da Vinci Code on Saturday right there on the Champs Élysées. No, I didn't feel bad about spending Paris time watching a movie that could have just as easily been seen at home, it was so hot outside, that we needed a break in the air conditioning. Besides, its not very often you get to see the Summer's Blockbuster in the city that it was filmed. Paris has fallen deeper in love with The Da Vinci Code than America has, so I would call watching the movie a cultural experience anyhow. The film was really good, and I recommend it to everyone. The star studded cast is perfect, and the screenplay is just close enough to the book to not irritate you, but far enough away from it to keep your attention. We saw the movie in Version Originale, where they just throw the French subtitles on the bottom, however, whenever a conversation occurrs in French, the English subtitles are not put on the screen. This makes it a bit tough, since a significant portion of the movie is in French. Having read the book like three times, I didn't miss much of the plot though. Ron Howard asked permission from the Louvre curator to shoot scenes of the movie in the Louvre, but he said absolutely not. Later on, Ron got a call from Jacques Chirac himself, requesting a lunch appointment wherein he was given permission to shoot his movie wherever he wanted to in France, including the Louvre and Saint Sulpice and that if he had anymore problems to just let him know. Take that curator man! It was a good show, go see it. It was air conditioned and in English! Wahoo! By the way, the Louvre has had a 20% increase in number of visitors since Dan Brown's book came out, why the curator would refuse to have the movie done in the Louvre I have no idea. Real genius is often crowded out by incredible ego.

No comments: