Sunday, July 09, 2006

Where are the Gargoyles?

It might sound ludicrous to say it, but I like the castle at Disneyland Paris a lot more than the one in Disneyland California. I think it is because it has that really cool "Parisesque" flying buttress on the side, and the neat square trees on the adjacent hillside. This castle belongs to Sleeping Beauty (I might be wrong, but didn't that whole Sleeping Beauty thing all take place in France), and the creators of the castle area did a very good job keeping with the theme, moreso than those who created Snow White's castle in California. And I'm glad they did, because Sleeping Beauty certainly deserves a better castle. Up in the top of the towers of the castle they have set up displays of the story of Sleeping Beauty, including some spinning wheels, and a whole bunch of stained glass windows (also in keeping with the Paris tradition). You have to be careful while tromping around the castle, however, because there is a dragon sleeping down in the dungeon, and occasionally it wakes up and moves its head about and yells. Just like in California, the Christmas store is inside the castle, and comes complete with a lot of people running about knocking glass things over. I really like this castle, and I think we took way too many pictures of it, but it isn't everyday you come across Sleeping Beauty's castle in Disneyland Paris.

1 comment:

Mike said...

The castle in Cali also belongs to Sleeping Beauty. I guess she has two. The one in Florida is Cinderella's. I guess Snow White is in Tokyo, or something.