Thursday, July 27, 2006

Inside Invalides

You remember that big golden dome church, right? Well here's the inside of it. I was never really sure what to expect while inside the huge domed buliding that the French call Invalides, in the end I was overwhelmed with how cool it was. Originally Sara and I had intended to go to the Rodin museum and then cross the street and take a glance at the building, but when we found the Rodin museum closed (At five o'clock on a holiday Friday) we decided to use our time and money to go look inside the dome. To our complete astonishment we found Invalides open and free. It was some sort of Parisian miracle. I'm gussing that they keep Napolean's tomb open on Bastille Day since he was in ways the hero of the Revolution (although I think he stood for the opposite of what the Revolutionists were trying to do). There is just as much gold on the inside as there is on the outside, and the inside design is spectacular. Napolean's great big tomb is set in the basement of the building directly underneath the huge dome, with an overlook on the main floor. All around his tomb are statues, the tombs of many of his co-generals, and this St. Peter's Basilica-like cross structure. I had no idea how neat this place was. Unfortunately, like most other dark churchy places in the city we had a very hard time taking any good pictures inside. This is certainly the neatest tomb in all of Paris, I dare say all the world. Great hommage to a man considered a Saint by many and quite the opposite by others. I've read a whole bunch about him lately and all I can say is that he was certainly good at what he did, but what he did certainly wasn't good. I'll go out on a limb and say that there are thousands of people in the world who would be better suited by a giant golden tomb watched over by a huge cross. But you didn't hear that from me.

No comments: