Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The World Cup


Sorry I didn't get anything posted yesterday, I caught me a bit of a sniffle, and I just wanted to go to bed and get rid of it. Unfortunately, the cold is still around, but I got to learn exactly what it feels like to try and stay coherent at work while doped up on Nyquil. Is that stuff supposed to last 18 hours? Anyhow, here's a picture of what's going on in Europe right now, and what I will be participating in tonight. France is playing against Spain in a round of the FIFA World Cup over in Germany. Whoever loses has to go home. I have begun to catch World Cup fever (I'll steer away from the Nyquil, don't worry) and am looking forward to going over to Bruno's place to watch the game tonight. For those of you who haven't a clue what the World Cup is, I'll do my best to explain it real quick. Its like a mixture of the Super Bowl and the Olympics, all played on a soccer field. Every four years the tournament is held and qualified countries (32 of nearly all the world's countries qualify) compete for the world title. The host country for the Cup is voted on by FIFA (Like the NFL of international soccer) with the only stipulation that the host country is located in a different continent each time, matches are played in cities up and down the country. This time its just over the border in Germany, and next time, in 2010 it will be held in South Africa. The games have been going on like this since 1930, with Brazil winning 5 times, Germany 3, Italy 3, Argentina and Uruguay twice, and England and France once. Who will it be this time? The USA got out quite a while ago, so there goes my hopes for nationalism. I guess I could always cheer for France. It would be really neat to see them win while I'm here. Unfortunately however, all those in the know say that Brazil is to win once again. We'll have to see what happens. I think it is cool to be out here during the World Cup, and then in July it will be the Tour de France! Vive la France!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

VIVA Portugal !!!

I hope Portugal will win !!!!!!!!!!!!

PORTUGAL! PORTUGAL! PORTUGAL!