Tuesday, June 13, 2006

My Epic Crusade to Saint Denis

Unbeknownst to me, I went to two new cities this weekend. As I mentioned before, I got off at the wrong metro stop en route to the Cité de Musique and ended up in Pantin. On Sunday, I went out on my crusade to seek the Basilica of Saint Denis, my new favorite saint, and the patron saint of Paris. It wasn't until I came across the Hotel de Ville of Saint Denis (the building with the flag on it in the picture) that I realized that I had left the Paris city limits. Saint Denis isn't a nieghborhood to the North of Paris, its an official suburb. Pretty cool. It is sort of an interesting place. You get off the metro station to the complete chaos of the market place, akin to those of Latin America. You know, with garbage everywhere and chunks of meat in places they really shouldn't be. As most maps of Paris streets don't detail the roads out here, I was on my own to find the building. All the signs pointing to the Basilica seemed to point down dead end roads, but as I neared the alleged cul-de-sac, I found it to actually be an intersection. Finally I rounded the corner and thar she blew; allegedly the first building ever built in the Gothic style. Certainly the first building ever built over the top of a grave of a man who walked for miles minus one head. Please view the useful map that I made some additions to, to see the celebrated Martyre's March. As dictated by the true passers of legend, I have made a few changes to the story, especially the part where Saint Denis's route included his carefulness to not step on words in the map. Also, just because I was going crazy with the cyber paint brush, I underlined places of interest around Paris' suburbs in green, including Pantin. I do it because I love all of you. You'll certainly want to zoom in on this one in order to appreciate my research-inspired orienteering. Any GIS technician would be so proud. Don't worry, you'll be hearing A LOT more about the building, so take your time with the map. It's okay. Clearly I took a lot of time with it, so why shouldn't you?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the map -- you are so cleaver (or is that clever?)

Unknown said...

So -- are you sure this isn't the bowling alley? Whats with the bowling balls? That's one fancy bowling alley!!!

Kason said...

Yeah, the powers that be in the city put up the cement bowling balls so that no one drives through, or parks their cars along the road there. They do look kinda funny, don't they?