Thursday, June 08, 2006

Coke on the Axe Historique


This is a picture of the Arc de Triomph as I neared it on the Axe Historique. I thought the flowers were just lovely. This was taken in a little place (plass) in the middle of the busy road between the Grande Arche and the Arc. I took a picture of the Grande Arche behind me, but lets face it, you've heard plenty about that thing, besides, I've got to save some pictures for the slide show when I get home. I figure this would be a good time to tell about my Historique Coke experience. I was pretty much parched beyond belief and I simply had to get something to drink so I stopped into the first bar/tobacco store/lottery joint I could find and I ordered a "Coca". The barkeep gave me one of those liter sized glass bottles (the coke is much better in Latin America by the way) and I drank it down like a camel. I then handed him a two € piece and waited for my change, thinking there was no way it would be more expensive than that since a two liter bottle is 1.80€. After a while he said "catre" and held up four fingers since I was clearly an idiot tourist (I hadn't shaved my screaming Scottish red beard in a week). I said, "you're kidding", and went off in English for a moment about the previous point, and found on the menu where it says 2 euros. He then explained to me that the two euro price was for if you ordered food too. What?! I finally gave him the four euros and stormed out. If it were the Dominican Republic I would have bartered down to him giving me money, but I figured I just didn't have the patience, or the language skills to do so. Anyhow, there's the Coca story for those concerned. Four euros, grrrr.

No comments: