Friday, June 23, 2006

Levallois and the Hotel Concorde LaFayette


This is home sweet home. I zoomed in as close as I could to Levallois-Perret, but still coudn't get close enough to see my apartment, not by a long shot. This picture is certainly worth enlarging. The golden dome there is Napolean's tomb, and directly in the center you can see the Arc de Triomph. The tower in the middle left is Paris' fourth tallest structure, the Hotel Concorde LaFayette. If you were to exclude buildings that are not "habitable", Montparnasse would be the tallest in the city, with LaFayette a far away second, as it is only 137 meters tall compared to Montparnasse at 210 and the Eiffel Tower at 300 meters. The coolest thing about the Hotel Concorde LaFayette is that you can see it from my apartment window. Just to get an idea of the map, notice the lines of trees going through town, those are the Seine. The river winds around the city of Paris. I live almost exactly between the LaFayette and the northern branch of the Seine. Pretty cool, eh? I figured I'd be the only tourist atop the building that was actually taking a picture of the building rather than the view. It puts everything into perspective when you get back to the ground and think that you've actually stood on the roof of such a tall building.

No comments: