Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Crucifixion, according to Pablo Picasso

A man once criticized Picasso for creating unrealistic art. Picasso asked him: "Can you show me some realistic art?" The man showed him a photograph of his wife. Picasso observed: "So your wife is two inches tall, two-dimensional, with no arms and no legs, and no color but only shades of grey."

I really doubt anyone but Picasso truly understood his works, but I am sure that it is possible that the onlooker can at least feel something akin to the feeling that Picasso was trying to convey. I doubt though that the feeling can be equal to what he felt. I've spent a lot of time at museums this year, and I've seen a lot of famous works of art, and I have certainly felt something different while looking at many of them; but nothing like how I felt when I looked at the original "Crucifixion" by Pablo Picasso. At first look you might even think it is sacreligious and just wrong, but after you really examine it you begin to feel what it may have been like to be there. The images are hard to differentiate but you can definitely see a little roman soldier on a horse, people casting lots, mourners, and then there's Christ...his face is all but correct, but doesn't show what is meant to be felt somehow. This is like trying to explain the color blue. Its a story that we know well, and that we are all passionate about, but maybe it takes a bit of "unrealistic" art to get the feeling of it just right. Picasso was truly a genius.

No comments: