Friday, January 01, 2010

Tonight We Gonna Party Like it's the Year 2009!

This is how we celebrate the New Year in Seattle! Oh yeah, what a cool city. I just had to share with the cyber world what must have been the most hilarious news caster banter I've ever heard. Here's pretty close to a direct quote - "History shows that the people of ancient China used fireworks to scare away evil demons, so if any of you are evil demons you best be changing the channel". That is awesome stuff. I'm pretty sure I would be a lousy newscaster because I could never come up with such informative and precautionary statements. Or possibly because I would make frequent usage of the term "pretty close to a direct quote".

Even though we had been dutifully warned by Guy Smiley, Sara and I were persistent in our New Year's Eve firework viewing. I kinda feel bad because we had long-time plans to actually see the fireworks in person at the Seattle Center, but we sorta wussed out. Do we get any points for actually taking the ride downtown to scope out the festivities? We got down there only to discover that the fog was thick enough, and the rain downpoury enough to potentially cancel the fireworks. I ain't waitin' no three hours for nothin', so back up to our safe little suburb we drove and watched Dick Clark, Ryan Seacrest AND Anderson Cooper welcome the New Year 3 times. That's right, we west coasters get to watch the ball fall starting at nine o'clock. We learned that Anderson Cooper's middle name is Hayes, thus making him the only person in the world with three last names as a full name. The powers that be in Seattle have finally proven to me that wind, fog and rain aren't actually legitimate reasons to cancel fireworks. All those "postponed" fireworks shows at Disneyland must be some sort of conspiracy to get people to come back. I blame the rat.

So unlike some people, I'm way into the whole New Year's thing. Yes, I looked it up, that's supposed to be an apostrophe, it's short for New Year's Eve or New Year's Day...some people think it's plural, but that's wrong. Just an hour and a half ago we started a new decade, and that only happens like every ten years or so. Everyone remembers when 2000 rolled around, I was at the Larsen's house hangin' out with all my High School Senior friends, and it was my first time to ever stay up all night. I was such a rebellious young punk! I also remember when 1990 rolled around, which is a lot to say since I have the memory of an inquired politician ("I do not recall that event, Senator"). Specifically, I remember watching one of those "Best and Worst of the Decade" shows as my dad set up chairs in our basement for some sort of party. Man, that was 20 years ago. I know it's a bit cliche, but I really do feel like there's something magical that happens when that second rolls over from 11:59 59 to 12:00 00. 2009 was a huge year for Sara and I, we moved from one side of the country to the other, changed jobs, and are still coping with the tragic loss of Kopps Frozen Custard and Chicago-style pizza. May 2010 be as rockin' as Dick Clark can make it, and may God help us all to agree on the best way to abbreviate it...I recommend Oh-ten. Happy 2010!!

No comments: