Monday, January 11, 2010

Zoo Hijinks with Randy III

So I don't know where it came from, but I've always had this strange fascination with birds. I'm guessing it's genesis was all those trips I made to Logan's Willow Park when I was a tiny little fledgling. I remember my dad and I going there with an entire loaf of bread, wadding up pieces into little balls and throwing them at, I mean to, the birds. There's just something cool about how birds move and get around, and they all look like puppets. I really like puppets. Also, there was a period of time where my mom raised love birds to sell into bird slavery. I really liked those fat little guys, and I sometimes wish they were still around, but I think my parents had to get rid of them because they ran out of newspapers.

When Randy and Diane were visiting, The Milwaukee County Zoo sponsored a "Birds of Australia" exhibit in which zoo goers could shove little Popsicle sticks with millet glued to them into the faces of aviary, hoping to forge a bond between the humans and the birds. It worked for all of us, except Zoe who was too busy trying to play with the stuffed creatures sold in the exhibition hall to notice the hundreds of birds flying about the room. I was a little bit disappointed that I wasn't able to feed any stereotypical Australian birds like Kookaburra and Emus. I don't know a whole lot about these birds from down under, but given that they are from Australia they could probably kill me, so I'm glad they were left out of the millet mall.

There's this awesome bird house at the Zoo that I really liked going to whenever we visited. My dear little wife, however, has some sort of strange bird phobia, so she sent my brave daughter and I into the wild blue yonder to commune with our fine feathered friends all alone. The grand finale of the bird house was my favouritest bird in the whole wide world, the Great Hornbill. Of all the birds ever created, this one is the puppetiest, with its fat long neck, and its Toucan Sam beak. It just sits there all day looking super regal, occasionally opening its mouth and squawking, as though it ran the whole Zoo. Sometimes I think the gigantic land mammals get all the attention.

No comments: