Friday, January 01, 2010

The Great Circus Parade Part II

Here are some more pictures of Sara, Zoe and I in front of various circus wagons. There were about four really cool wagons containing old timey player organs that had little drums and bells and cymbals. I spent a lot of time staring at the organ wagons listening to the music, and I think some other members of my party got sort of bored. I'm sorry that I didn't take any pictures of those wagons, I was too busy filming several minutes of the music for Zoe to listen to at a later date when her attention span is longer than amount of time it takes for her brain to remind her legs that she now knows how to walk.
So the Great Circus Parade is sort of a big deal. The folks from Baraboo have been stomping their way through Milwaukee for 30 years now, from 1963 to 2009. I know the year's don't add up, but that's because it's not necessarily an annual occasion. As a matter of fact, the parade took a recess from 2005 through 2008, which means that this year was the first chance we really ever had to see the show. I'm pretty sure the wagon pictured below features lion-headed shrimp - limps. Golden limps. In a few milleniums archaeologists will dig up these bas reliefs and immediately assume we worshipped mythological shrimp lions. I wonder it that truly is the case in Baraboo. Yes, the giant 'S' on the wagon stands for shrimp. Or maybe Sara.
I wish I could post the rest of the pictures we took, but lets face it, this is teetering on the fulcrum of boredom as it is. But wait, here's a fascinating tidbit; the Grand Clown of this particular Great Circus Parade was none other than Ernest Borgnine. I wonder if I'd have recognized him if he hadn't been wearing the make-up? Probably not since I never watched any McHale's Navy, or SpongeBob SquarePants.

No comments: