Sunday, January 31, 2010

A little shout out to Khalifa

I came across this lego model of the Burj Khalifa (formerly Burj Dubai), which is by far the neatest building ever built by mankind. Surely I've gone on and on about this Tower of Babel in the past, but I figured this picture of me with the lego interpretation thereof would be a good venue to once again state my extreme desire to visit the United Arab Emirates. It doesn't have to be a long trip, all I really have to do is see the Burj Khalifa, the Burj Al Arab (the world's only 6 star hotel), and ski down the indoor desert snow mountain. What would that take, like a day? I guess I better learn how to indoor ski first.

Why are my favorite skyscrapers getting their names changed? I'm never going to be able to call the Sears Tower the Willis Tower, but since my fabulous little Burj was given its name at birth rather than as an adult skyscraper, I can get used to less Dubai and more Khalifa. And speaking of the Sears Tower, even though there are several Asian buildings taller than her, she still contains the world's tallest inhabited floor, at 442 meters up. That is, until the Burj Khalifa was completed in October of 2009, which was topped out at a few meters short of double the height of the Sears Tower, at 828 meters. Those of you who have seen the Sears Tower, just imagine another Sears Tower on top of it, and there's your Burj Khalifa! How could you not want to head out to the Middle East just to see it? The Burj Khalifa has blown every height record completely out of the water, and will likely hold that title for at least a decade, although there's a lot of talk out there about upcoming projects. Hail to Khalifa!

2 comments:

*Aliese* said...

Oh, one of my high school friends just moved to Dubai to be with her boyfriend and she is constantly posting neat-o pictures of the place i.e.: that building, some amazing malls, a water show, an ice hotel...I'm infatuated.

Nathen, Jennifer and Annie said...

I would LOVE to go to the UAE!!!! The Burj Al Arab looks incredible. That water park looks pretty amazing as well. Better get my floaties ready!