Tuesday, February 02, 2010

My Good Byes to Chi's Pies

Might this have been the last time we ever eat Chicago style pizza at Giordano's? Not if I have any control over my own destiny. Over the summer we went and saw a movie at The District, and we came across a restraunt called "Sweet Home Chicago" right next to the theatre. I went in and talked to the owner, and he claimed to make pizza which is the spitting image of the stuffed version we fell in love with while in Chicago. You know, they really shouldn't use the word "spit" when describing their menu items. We never got around to testing the restraunt owner's claim while in the Salt Lake area, but Randy and Diane have had a share of the fare there, and say these proxy pies could potentially pacify our pizza poorness. I'd have to eat it to believe it though. Fact is, if I'm not waddling outta that restraunt so full that I'm about to puke up liquid heaven, than I'm never going back.

Really though, come on, they certainly could have come up with a more creative name than "Sweet Home Chicago". I've been thinking about this more than I probably should, and I came up with a better one - Chi Pie. Locals often call Chicago "Chi Town" (at least the ones in the movies do), with "Chi" pronounced like "shy". The assonance in the pronunciation would be required for admittance, this way we could keep out the non-Chicago riff raff. We could even take it further and just spell the name using the two Greek letters Chi and Pi...you math nerds know the ones I'm talking about...the big fancy 'X' from the Chi distribution, and the pi that math posers try to work into conversations to make themselves feel smart. That is, if the greek letter chi weren't pronounced like "kai". But I digress. I like pizza, and if I weren't such a wuss I'd seriously consider owning my own pizza joint, just so I could say I own my own pizza joint.

And speaking of Zoe next to a giant beer sign, here's a funny story. Sara and Zoe and my dad and I took a trip to St. George over the summer to visit relatives and recreate. Yes, we recreate by visiting cemeteries and climbing on rocks, but it was certainly a change in scenery. Anyhow, dad took us to dinner one night and Zoe requested Pepsi. Now before you call Child Services, be it known that Zoe refers to all bubbly beverages as Pepsi. Dad thought he'd help Zoe to ask for more child friendly beverages, so while Sara and I were away from the table he taught her to say "Root Beer". Dad's plan backfired as Zoe now refers to soda as "beer". Thanks Dad. I guess since she was born in Wisconsin, this is not an unexpected addition to her toddler vernacular.

No comments: