Saturday, February 20, 2010

The McOlympics

Now here's the dilemma I'm having about the Olympics right now. I'm experiencing an Olympic Overdose. I think Olympic coverage is the only show that you actually feel morally guilty for not watching. I mean it only happens once every two years, so missing it is like skipping the moon landing. I find myself watching people skiing until midnight thanks to DVR. We're halfway through the Games and I think I've seen enough, but what if I miss something fantastic? My other problem is I feel like such a loser watching those athletes. I'm sitting there on my couch for three hours a night eating ice cream and wearing sweat pants while these beautiful people, who look pretty awesome in spandex, go flying down a mountain at like 80 miles per hour. The worst of it is those few seconds a night where my brain actually says, "Pffff, I could totally do that." I thought the McDonalds in Vancouver, all bedecked as a shrine to physical strength and endurance, is a great symbol of my current thoughts. If only there were a gold medal for Dorito consumption. I'd be the pudgy prince of the podium.

As Zoe was running across the bridge from the parking lot she came across this sign painted on the ground. We are all still confused about what it means. I think we finally decided that the bridge only allows bike riders if they stand atop their bikes. This seems very unsafe to me, but perhaps it was this extreme spirit that landed the Olympics in Vancouver.

No comments: