Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Harry Potter Exhibition

Don't tell the guys, but I'm a Harry Potter fan. I was one of those people that was all anti-Potter until I finally saw the first three movies and became a fan. I guess I'm out of the closet now. My family and I aren't fanatics, but we've all read the books and seen the movies. Several months ago we heard that Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry would host a Harry Potter Exhibition during the summer of 2009, and we figured, "why not?" Ok, well some of us got really excited and bought tickets immediately, while others figured it'd be better than hefting boxes into a moving truck.

The exhibit was quite cool though, they had pretty much every costume and prop from the movies all lined up as though one was walking through Hogwart's School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Cameras were a big no-no, except for next to the Weasley's flying Ford Anglia, which was on display in the lobby. The camera prohibition was probably a good thing because I would have taken a lot of pictures of all kinds of stuff, and not been able to enjoy the exhibit quite as much. Admittedly though, I would have been much more impressed if they had acquired the actual clothes worn by the original wizards, rather than just the costumes from the movies. Witnessing this exhibit would definitely have been a life changing event for any out of control Harry Potter freak. I thought it was crazy awesome how much work and minute detail was put forth just to make a movie. Cool stuff.

My mind was a little out in the woods by itself during that museum trip because just as we were walking into the building I got a phone call from my now current boss out here in Seattle. He was calling to offer me the job! Wahoo! I was pretty certain I'd get this job, given how well the interview went, but one can never be completely sure. As we were walking from wizard wand to witch wardrobe all I could think about was the relief that I had a job to go to in October. There I was in my favorite city, during my favorite month, with my favorite people, knowing that I had three solid months of not having to work (pretty much 12 weeks of vacation), and we were finally getting out of Milwaukee. Sara and I never really loved it out there, I think we spent a lot of time trying to convince ourselves that we did, and making the most out of it, but we were always looking for a way to get closer to home and further from Old Man Winter (he's a big fat jerk). After three years of the dark freeze, I was on cloud nine, and ready for a move into a much brighter future, which it most certainly has become.

No comments: