Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Fete de La Musique du Milwaukee

This here's a picture of the Zoe at Milwaukee's Bastille Days. The Eiffel-like tower behind her was rigged up by the Milwaukee School of Engineering, an institution which provided many back-packed students for me to try and not hit with my car on the way to work. I was usually successful. Milwaukee is a city that knows how to party in an international sort of way, and mid-July brought us this French fete. I'm not sure why, but this year was the first year we actually went to the party, even though it was highly recommended by many of our friends many years running.

There were several bandstands set up by the city, and filled with local musicians. I was surprised to see that next to none of the bands were playing anything in french, or france-related. This is probably because the majority of the fair-going public are not very entertained by accordian-accompanied schmultz in a foreign language. Honestly, France has severely dropped the boule when it comes to intriguing modern music (-M- excluded). Instead we got to enjoy yet another medley of Johnny Cash songs at least an octave and a fourth too high. Oh, and Celtic music...shudder.
Regardez s'il vous plait how awesome this Bastille Days poster is! Oui, oui, I know that this isn't the poster that goes with the year we actually went, but I liked the 2006 poster a lot. I gotta give Milwaukee a lot of credit for making this festival loads of fun, they had a bunch of street performers and murals all over the place. Did you see the cool aerial photograph of Cathedral Square that I stole off the internet (above)? Looks like quite the good time. I'll never forget the year that we were actually at the Eiffel Tower on Bastille Day, what an awesome experience. To tell you the truth if you were to replace the music, and the beverage, this party would have been very similar to the Fete de la Musique held in Paris every June 21st. Everyone in the city is encouraged to perform music outside their houses/offices and get totally wasted on wine and European adrenaline. That was a grand time in Levallois. I love Milwaukee in the Summer time.

No comments: