Wednesday, July 01, 2009

This time, 200 years ago

I don't think I could build my own house, even if I had all the funky logs, rocks, and mud that I could possibly need. Sara and I just got done watching the entire series of Little House on the Prairie, and boy could those guys build a house. They'd work out in the field all day, cut several trees into planks at Hansen's mill, drive many barrels to Sleepy Eye in the wagon, search for some frost bitten child and then come home just in time to build a kitchen. I, on the other hand, usually get home from ten hours of sitting on my rump looking at a glowing rectangle, and then whine because I have to lean over to pick up my shoes before I go to bed. Joseph Smith, on the other hand was a rustique farmer guy who was born in a log house that he built with his own hands, a replica of which is pictured with Sara above. The other picture is of Zoe perched upon her dad next to the little fenced-off square that is the actual locale of young Joseph's original log cabin. Why didn't they build the replica on the original square? Weird. So you know all those movies of Joseph Smith taking like a 20 minute walk to the Sacred Grove? That's just not true because the grove is right next to his house (or I should say his fenced-off square). I imagine Lucy Mack had to spend a lot of time trying to get all the sacred mice out of the kitchen.

So Joseph Smith was born in 1805 and lived until 1844. That was a super long time ago. He was 23 years dead before Laura Ingalls was even born. To put it into further perspective, the year Joseph was born, Napolean was still running around europe stealing stuff, Beethoven wasn't completely deaf yet, and Thomas Jefferson was president of the United States. Living in a tiny log cabin would pretty much be camping out your entire life, and I just couldn't live like that. Perhaps if I were typing this blog back in the 1810s I would feel differently since I wouldn't know the luxury of the oncoming century, but still I'm sure I'd be hoping that my kids would be able to graduate from wagon to station wagon and from pumping to plumbing.

No comments: