Friday, July 10, 2009

Sniff that Pennsylvania Air

We'd heard stories that the city of Hershey, Pennsylvania smells like chocolate, so we had to go investigate. Since neither of us had a golden ticket, we could only sniff the streets around town, rather than enter this fabled confectionery dreamland. No, I didn't pick up the smell of chocolate, but this must have been because we were there on a Saturday when the factory wasn't in operation. An old friend of Sara and I's who used to live in the area has told us that the legend is true but we'll have to go back on a weekday to verify it. I guess I should also clear up the fact that Hershey isn't a city after all, rather it is classified as a "census-designated place" in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. Not that it really matters, so long as they continue to provide the world with 80,000,000 chocolate kisses per day. Man I love those things. Have you tried the creme de menthe kind? I would probably sell a kidney for one of those...or I could just take a quick trip to the freezer. Okay, I'm back from the freezer. Wow, that's good. It is true, however, that the lamp posts in Hershey are shaped like my beloved lumps of chocolate. I think its cool that some of the kisses are wrapped and some are naked. Naked kisses? Ooo la la! I think Milwaukee ought to shape each of its street lights as beer cans. This would truly capture Brew City's deep rooted values. Also, this would provide the people driving home from late night drinking some familiar sentinels to follow as they wind their way through the streets. Perhaps the new street lights would compensate for the massive holes in Wisconsin's DUI laws. But that's a dark topic in what's meant to me more of a milk-chocolate sort of blog posting.

1 comment:

*Aliese* said...

Hershey does have a FAINT chocolate smell. Not strong, but it's definitely a bit different. :)