Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Hershey Trivia Grab Bag

Just when you'd thought I had already written all the super interesting Hershey facts there are, I pull several more out of the trivia bucket. Plus, this is a great way for me to throw a few more pictures out there, like this one of Zoe sitting on a Twizzler fence. Ends up that the Hershey Company owns all sorts of wonderful other companies that make all sorts of wonderful other treats. I think I should bail out of the actuarial business and become a chocolate maker...or at least a professional chocolate eater, there's gotta be such a thing. There was a time in my life where I was all snooty about American chocolate not being as good as some of those European varieties, but I no longer feel that way. I'm proud to be an American.
  • Using milk for chocolate was first done by Swiss confectioner Henri Nestle clear back in the early 1800s. It was Milton Hershey that found a way to stop the milk from fermenting after being added to the chocolate so that it could stay good long enough to be shipped around the world.
  • Milton and his wife had tickets to sail across the Atlantic on the first and final voyage of The Titanic, but Mrs. Hershey fell ill a few days before the ship set sail so they canceled their reservations.
  • Milton and his wife established an industrial school not too far from the factory. In 1918 Hershey donated his entire fortune to the school. The school still has ownership over most of the company.
  • During World War II the Hershey Company produced up to 24 million chocolate bars each week, all of which went to the soldiers. They were known as Ration D bars.
  • Milton's wife died in 1915 and was buried a few towns down the road. Milton had her dug up and reburied in Hershey. He did the same with the body of his dad. Weird. Why didn't Sara and I go to see his grave? We always think of these things after we get home.

No comments: