Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Grandin's Book Bindery

In downtown Palmyra, just a block or two from the Holy Intersection, is the building where E.B. Grandin published the first edition of the Book of Mormon. I spent a few years working as a Book of Mormon publisher in the church's book bindery in Salt Lake and at BYU. I got to set up the machines and run all the signatures through for the BOM editions in weird funky languages that no one's ever heard of. It was like the coolest job ever. I just had to stop into the Grandin building and check out their operation, you know, perhaps give Grandin a few pointers. All the machines looked really heavy and dirty, I certainly hope that E.B. wore his steel-toed boots. The place was packed to the gills with tour guides and missionaries so I had to jog through while Sara and Zoe waited in the car, but it was worth it. Did you know that in 2007 one of the original first edition Books of Mormon was auctioned off for 180,000 dollars?

No comments: