Monday, July 06, 2009

Bedford, I mean, Seneca Falls

Film director Frank Capra visited the small town of Seneca Falls, New York in 1945. One year later he directed the greatest Christmas movie of all times, It's A Wonderful Life. Now check out this bridge right there in the middle of Seneca Falls...does that look familiar to any of you festive film fans? I'm pretty sure that George Bailey's hometown of Bedford Falls was based on Seneca Falls. I'm not alone in thinking that either, the town of Seneca Falls has an It's a Wonderful Life festival every December, and has actually named the roads in the area next to this bridge Bedford Falls Boulevard, Clarence Street, George Bailey Lane, and Angel Street. This is just the sort of thing that Sara and I would drive a few extra miles to see. I'm glad we did though because the Finger Lakes area is absolutely gorgeous and had we not taken this detour I don't think we'd have had the chance to explore the area. I would have jumped off the bridge, but my life insurance policy doesn't cover movie reenactments.

1 comment:

*Aliese* said...

That is pretty awesome.