Sunday, November 23, 2008

It’s a Great Place to Visit

If only I had a nickel for every existing picture of smiling tourists at the end of Chicago’s Navy Pier. There are lots of reasons that so many people would take advantage of this photo opportunity. For one, you can get yourself pictured in front of the mighty Lake Michigan, or turn around and become the foreground of a sprawling Chicago cityscape. Also, the picture will stand as concrete evidence that you forked out the 30 dollars for parking, and walked the long distance to the end of the pier. Now don’t get me wrong here, I truly do love Navy Pier, but enjoying its length is not friendly to the cash-poor. During this Chicago trip, Sara, Zoe and I took a ride on the gigantic ferris wheel in the middle of the pier. The on-line reviews for the wheel mostly said that its something the avid Chicago tourist needs only do once, but I thought it was cool enough to do again. It’s not meant to be a thrill ride, but I think it was really neat to be up so high looking down at our southerly neighbor, in all its windy glory. Zoe was not a ferris wheel fan. Perhaps she was afraid because the big gaps between the doors and the floor were a touch bigger than she is, but I prefer to think that it’s because she was well past nap time. No matter Zoe’s opinion, we had a great time on Navy Pier.

No comments: