Friday, November 07, 2008

Inside the MAM

Who'd a thunk that the Miwaukee Art Museum was so much more than a world-reknowned building that looks like a giant Oriental hand fan. We've been telling ourselves to go in and see what lies inside for a long time, but it took our visiting relatives to finally get us to do it. Sara's cultured me up good when it comes to art, and one of our favorite artists is Dale Chihuly. He does incredible glass sculptures, including the one pictured here, which is located in the Milwaukee Art Museum. Can you imagine designing and blowing all that glass? I can't either, mostly because I have no clue what is required in glass blowing, but I'm sure that while doing it, one should be careful not to breathe in. To make it even more impressive, Mr. Chihuly has only one eye, which I'd imagine really throws a wrench in the glass blowin' gears.

I was very impressed with the Milwaukee Art Museum and the works of art inside it. The collection was very large and the exhibits were put together well. I love how you can look out any window and get a fabulous view of Lake Michigan. I know that Randy, Diane and Tyler enjoyed the art museum because they stayed inside on a beautiful sunny day to see it...and that says a lot. Milwaukee often gets sort of a beer-drinkin', Favre-lovin', Harley-ridin' reputation, but it also offers a lot of the finer things in life if you know where to look for them. Its not hard to spot the MAM, and I'm very glad that we finally stepped inside.

No comments: