Friday, July 23, 2010

A Spiel From A Spelunker

There's no better place to enjoy a beautiful late summer day than within the guts of a mountain. Sara and I recruited my brother, Bryson, and my sister, Staycia, as co-spelunkers and off we went to Mount Timpanogos. It actually ended up being an entire day's event as we had to get to the trailhead by seven o'clock that morning in order to get tickets. I guess we Utahns love a free caving day. We've got a little bit of everything in our state and the wise ones enjoy as many of them as possible. After all, caves will never come and visit you.

The trail up to the cave was pretty fun. Sara's favorite part of the trail was telling Bryson and I over and over again to get away from the edge. We like to live on the edge, oh yeah. Timpanogos is the second tallest peak of the Wasatch Range, so getting nearly to the top isn't something done in a few minutes, but it still isn't a very tough hike. Back when I was a sinewy young mountaineer, my cousin Jeremy and I pretty much ran up the mountainside and got to the top of the 1.5 mile trail in a half hour. We were able to do it so fast because there was no one there to keep us from the edges.

Caves aren't exactly the best medium for photography, this is probably why you rarely see bat tourists. The tour through the cave presented by Ranger Vanessa (I don't remember her name, but I think a cave woman should be called Vanessa) was very well done, and seemed much longer than the tours I'd seen in the past. Here we are posing among the speliothems, always worried that today will be the day the earthquake hits and we all become fossil fuel. There's a reason they call it a cave in, you know. Isn't it fascinating how much time it took to make all the formations? I simply can't fathom thousands of years, it's hard enough for me to picture 5:00 on a Thursday morning when I'm just getting to the office. I'm super glad that Staycia and Bryson came with us, we had a lot of fun, especially when we got to smell the pack rat at the end.

No comments: