Sunday, June 20, 2010

My nature's preittier than your nature.

So nature is really pretty, and there sure is a lot of it out there. I grew up in Cache Valley, Utah, where all the locals are 100% convinced that they've homesteaded on the world's best looking land. Now that I've been around the country quite a bit, I've been humbled enough to shun my haughty upbringing. Ends up that there are even prettier places out there! As you can tell from these pictures, one of those places is rural Idaho (rural Idaho represents about 98% of the state). During the annual reunion up at Little Piney I'm always in the thick of actuarial exam study time, so I've gotten into the habit of waking up early and hitting the books before everyone else is around to distract me. During this particular trip, I watched the sun come up over all the trees on the mountainside and it was so pretty I almost wanted to become a perma-camper. I recovered from this mind set quickly when I remembered that I'd have to trade my plumbing and my microwave in order to make this happen. I think a few times a year is enough to fill my nature canteen. Besides, I live in western Washington now, where if you stand still long enough outside you find that there's green slimy nature growing on your skin, so I've got plenty to look at.

Zoe and her cousin/best friend in the whole wide world, Annie, spent a lot of their outdoors time throwing stuff into the river. Sara's uncle Dennis brought a really cool PVC pipe rocket launcher and Zoe couldn't stop launching stuff up into the air. Grandma provided the annual fishing pond (thanks Grandma) and all the kids ate more than their weight of cookies and chips. Add the slide and baseball diamond to the mix, and you've got a great big steaming hot pot of summertime fun. Looking at these pictures make me long for the warm summer sun. Here in Puyallup we haven't seen a sunny day in about two weeks. I guess that's what we signed up for. Hey Mr. Golden Sun, please shine down on me!

No comments: