Sunday, June 20, 2010

The emblems of our family

Sara was commisioned by her aunt to make a family crest to be presented at the family reunion. I am always so impressed by my little wife's artictic finesse. She spent hours studying heraldry so she could most accurately capture what her family holds near and dear. I'd say she hit it right on the head. Every line and color has a meaning, and anyone who knows her family would agree that nothing was incorrect or left out. The crest was embroidered onto a flag, and hung up in the lodge. Pretty cool.

Sara's Grandma Ranae and Granpa Glen are pretty much the best grandparents around. I owe a large debt of gratitude to Sara's Grandpa. When we were just beginning to date Sara and I were up in Idaho visiting, and when I held the car door open for Sara, Glen came over to her and told her that she ought to keep me around. That same trip I figured out that I most certainly did want to stick around, because I'd be gaining such great grandparents by marrying Sara. I gave them my immediate seal of approval when, even though we didn't get to their house until after 10:00 p.m., Ranae still got out the ice cream. Anyone who gives me ice cream late at night forges an unbreakable bond. Since then, I've been adopted as an honorary grandson, with all rights and priviledges bestowed upon me, including make up time at Grandma's fishing pond during the family reunions. My mom's mom died when I was only 12 and dad's mom passed away about 10 years ago. My grandma gap has been very well filled by Grandma Ranae, and I'll never be able to thank her enough for it. After the kids went to bed, Sara and I spent hours talking to Glen and Ranae at the reunion, and their stories taught me a huge lesson. In the sunset of your life you don't look back on the jobs or the money. Instead, you talk about the car rides with the kids, and the great friends from next door. Grandparents spend reunion time observing their own lives as reflected in the surrounding grandkids and great grandkids. Surely getting married and having kids early was a better choice than getting a head start on the CEO trail. I hope I can be more like my grandparents and enjoy those golden years starting now. Thanks for everything Grandpa and Grandma Glen and Ranae!

No comments: