Friday, June 18, 2010

Lodge Cooked Sliders

When Summer nights are starting to get a little colder than you want them to be, and the mountain lions start looking for food at lower elevations, its time to go camping in the woods! I'm not really sure you can call the annual family reunion camping, seeing how we stay in the gigantic lodge and eat all sorts of home cooked (lodge cooked) meals. Actually one year we did sleep in a tent during the reunion and it was delightful...when the sun finally came up! Sara's extended family on her mom's side are very rugged and tough outdoorsmen. People on my side of the family are better described as squishy and reclined basement dwellers. If you really think about it though, the latter lifestyle is preferable as mountain lions rarely infest a basement, but if they did, imagine how happy they'd be when they discovered the squishy people reclined down there. Despite our differences, Sara and I both absolutely love the family renion, probably because her family are the nicest folks to ever reunite. Beyond eating, there are other generators of family fun at Little Piney Campground such as the ginormo slide that goes from the lodge all the way down to the swing set and baseball diamond. What is that, like half a mile of pure terror? Those stairs are a new luxory to sliders, we used to have to climb all the way back up the mountain using our bare hands. Zoe thought it was the neatest thing since Elmo met Big Bird. We must have hiked up those stairs 20 times, that comes to 10 total miles. A few years back, on my first time down the chute of death, I made the horrible error of putting my shod feet out. The rubber on my shoes stopped, but I kept going...over the slide side and down the hill. Like the true man I am, I walked it off. Since then I know, as taught by Sara's 6-year-old cousins, that one must use the supplied carpet samples when sliding and keep the feet safely tucked away.

2 comments:

*Aliese* said...

That slide is quite possibly one of the greatest things I've ever seen! I kinda wanna try it out...

Nathen, Jennifer and Annie said...

It is seriously terrifying.