Friday, May 07, 2010

It's S'winter at Park City

We decided that we weren't going to spend our Utah time between jobs lounging about on my in-laws' couch watching TV and eating caramel popcorn. At least not everyday. The convictions of our youth were reconfirmed as we toured the state and discovered that even though it's almost completely covered in nasty desert, Utah's actually a pretty happenin' place. I was out being a missionary in the Dominican Republic when the world came to Utah for the Winter Olympics in 2002, and my friends and family tell me I missed out on a lot of cool stuff. Fortunately, a lot of the coolness is still lingering around at Park City, so we took a little drive through Parley's Canyon to check out the sites. We dragged Sara's sister Jennifer and our adorable little niece Annie along for the ride. One thing I love about Jennifer, Nathen and Annie, is that they are always willing to go out and do stuff with us, like meeting sticker-clad albino bisons. We're still not sure if we were allowed to get inside the bobsled at the Winter Olympics Museum. Judging by the stares we're getting from our fellow tourists behind us, we may have just broken some official Olympics rules and will likely be disqualified from all future commemorative sliding events. Not surprisingly, there weren't a whole lot of people at the museum on a week day afternoon because all the people that love winter sports enough to visit a winter sporting museum are too busy working so they can afford to participate in winter sports. I noticed that there were no exhibits in the museum dedicated to the winter event I'm best at: slipping on the ice while getting out of my car. I got two gold medals and a bronze behind in this event every year while living in Milwaukee. It's the poor man's winter sport.

No comments: