Sunday, May 09, 2010

The Great Ski Jumping Conspiracy

A successful ski jump has never actually been performed by mankind. The jumps you see on TV during the Olympics are actually done by spandex clad actors in front of blue screens. My proof of this is that those ski jumps are crazy tall. I refuse to believe that beautiful people slide down those things on flat sticks, do back flips, and land safely on the ground. Did you know that the green padded part the skiers land on (right behind me) is made up of thousands of tiny blades of 3 inch synthetic grass? Its like astro turf...to the EXTREME!!! And speaking of awesomeness, when we got to the ski jumps they were blasting the song "Freewill" by Rush, and I decided its the best ski jumping song ever. I dare anyone to think of a better one.

How awesome is it that they have a set of slides at the bottom of the jump for the little kids to begin ski jump training while watching their older siblings fly down the hill. If the kids are really lucky they'll be able to witness the life flight helicopter come in to take big brother for an exciting ride. Its great to watch Annie and Zoe play together on the slides. Have any of you other parents noticed that playgrounds have evolved into death traps for toddlers? Honestly, the safety upgrades in every other kid-related item in the world is inversely proportional to those of the modern playground. I don't mean to sound like a curmudgeon here, I loved every sliver I got playing at the Big Toy at Hillcrest Elementary School, but wow, the playgrounds we've taken Zoe to lately are like American Gladiator obstacle courses minus the padding and the giant Q-tips. I guess the next generation will be a very tough bunch.

2 comments:

Mike said...

The Final Countdown by Europe. Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins.

Ben, Alyssa, and Ting-Ting Green said...

Kason, your blog is hilarious. You had me almost crying in the part about the life flight helicopter. You should replace Dave Barry; you're a lot funnier than that guy was during the last ten years or so before he retired.

I once quoted "Free Will" in a family home evening lesson on choice and accountability. Pretty gnarly, huh?