Saturday, September 06, 2008

Summer at the Zoo

We were fiscally responsible at the beginning of the summer and got a yearly membership to the Milwaukee County Zoo. We can now drive right by the ticket booth and park for free whenever we want to mosey about the zoo looking for animal action. The zoo isn't too far away from our house, and makes for a great place for a leisurley stroll, so we've been going just about every week. I've got more pictures of the zoo than you could shake a stick at, but I thought I'd post only these two as they represent the coolese zoo moments of the summer. The elephants at the zoo are always doing way cool stuff, including the day this picture was taken. Ruth was standing at the very edge of her little cliff there reaching all the way to the branches of the tree across the way. That was pretty cool. I love elephants, they're such strange creatures. Everyone knows they come from a different planet.

I'm not really sure if the tiger at the zoo wants to eat Zoe, or just nibble on her face. The zoo stays open until 9 on summer Wednesdays, and we've discovered that in the late evening the big cats do their prowling and eating. Every time we show up to look at the tiger he stops doing his laps and comes straight to Zoe and stares at her for a few seconds. I'd like to thank the good people that make the glass between Zoe and the tiger. Thanks to all of our time at the zoo this summer I've begun to rethink my career...I want to be a veterinarian. Or perhaps a popcorn vendor.

3 comments:

*Aliese* said...

Way fun! I miss being so close to a zoo and haven't been to one in years.

Anonymous said...

Here in Saint Louis, the zoo is free. While that is ideal for a lot of people, and offers many kids access that otherwise might never go, I still find myself donating. Food is expensive in the zoo, but I still pay the price. I still buy many things from the gift shops, though I can order it wholesale so much cheaper.
The zoo is such a special place. All the new babies this year, I so much love the two Takins born this year. The five Amur Tiger cubs, the sweet little Amur Leopard girl, and the three Somali Wild Ass births.
I go often to the Zoo myself, usually about once every two weeks, year round. Thank you for the post.

Aaron and Kristel said...

That's an awesome picture of that elephant! Thanks for letting us tag along to the zoo with you guys this summer we had a lot of fun!