Saturday, September 06, 2008

The ongoing saga of the Favre

Given some of his recent career decisions, any Wisconsinian who doesn't live under a rock Up North somewhere has become very aware of and developed a strong opinion about Brett Favre. That opinion is always somewhere along the lines of, "its not his fault, aliens must have somehow gained control of his brain". Since I'm not really sure if this has been the headline news in the real world that it has been out here, I guess I ought to explain that after his retirement at the end of the last football season, Favre spent the month of July announcing his return to the Packers, getting rejected by the Packers, talking the Packers back into reinstating him, going back on his own reinstatement, talking to other teams, and eventually being traded to the New York Jets. Now remember that Favre was traded from the Falcons to the Packers in '92, and became thier starting quarterback after the fourth game of that season. He started for every Packers game from that day on, until his retirment in 2008. That's dedication. Or se we all thought. Sara and I are absolutely blown away by how much press coverage this got out here. I saw grown men crying in the streets the day he announced his retirement, and they all but closed my office early that day.

I really enjoy asking local football fans (which constitute all but about .08% of the population) about what they think of Favre's trade. No one really knows how to explain how they feel about it, probably because they feel it blasphemous to say anything negative about their fallen demi-god. I really like how our friend Dale explained it. He says (with my slight embelishment) that this is an Adam and Eve decision that has to be made by Packers fans, for there are two conflicting commandments, "Thou shalt love the Favre, thy god with all thy heart, might mind and strength" versus, "Thou shalt honour thy Packers and thy Brewers so that your summers may be long throughout the land". The Wisconsin sports fan can not keep both commandments, thus they live in fear of being kicked out of the Garden of Eden, flowing with beer and sausage, into the lone and dreary wilderness (Chicago). I enjoy a game of football, but I'm no fanatic, I've always just made sure I knew how the Packers are doing, and always hoped they do well. It'll be fun this year to check up on the Packers' second branch (The Jets) to see how they're doing. Somewhere on my left shoulder a little devil wishes that the Packers win the superbowl and the Jets get totally skunked. Wow, this post has become long, looks like I've once again become immersed enough in the Wisconsin culture to drone on about it for many paragraphs. Let me know what you think of Mr. Favre.

2 comments:

Nathen, Jennifer and Annie said...

He he he..... I guess he is the fruitcake I always thought he was. Now I can say GO PACK GO!--and really mean it! Especially when they play the Jets!

Unknown said...

I'm still so confused by the way his name is pronounced; isn't the v before the r?