Saturday, May 31, 2008

A Soul Refresher

Disputably, the most famous work in the MOMA is Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night, though Andy Warhol's Campbells Soup Cans might be in the running. Here's Sara standing in front of it. We've had a print of this up on our wall since we got married and had always wanted to see it. There were about a hundred other paintings there that I could go on and on about, like a bunch of stuff by Georges Seurat, including the one where he paints the frame. And there were all sorts of works by Warhol, Pollock, Matisse, Caulder, Rousseau, Cezanne...you name it, it was there. But a trip to an art museum wouldn't be complete without me posting the painting that hit me the hardest. And here it is:
Yep, its a touch strange and grotesque, but so intriguing. Its called Painting (1946) by Francis Bacon (this is NOT Sir Francis Bacon), and is considered his magnum opus. Apparently he started the paining as a monkey in tall grass, but then decided he wanted to add a bird of prey...then it sorta just turned into a bunch of chunks of animal parts...or at least I think that's what it is. I just couldn't quit looking at it. I'm so glad I married such a cultured girl. She's opened my eyes to the beauty of art, and now I just can't get enough of it. About halfway through the night Sara says, "It sure is refreshing to spend a night in an art museum", and I thought, "Wow, she's right, this feels great". That's the whole point of art. It refreshes the soul.

No comments: