Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The New York Subway




It ends up that New Yorkers are very particular when they talk about their subway. All of our guidebooks told us to never ever use the colors when asking how to get from here to there, or else you'll be considered a tourist (as if the red stroller and the video camera weren't evidence enough). We knew we wanted to take the Brooklyn-bound number one to the Staten Island ferry, but I just had to take the opportunity to ask a New Yorker how to do it. I guess I wanted to make sure he didn't give me any colors, and I really wanted to call a New Yorker "guy" like they do in all the movies. My guy was pretty helpful, especially since he happened to be going the same way we were.


All in all, I'm a NYC subway fan, its harder to navigate than the Paris Metro, but much easier to navigate than the Philadelphia Stink Train. After our three rides on the system, I don't think we've put in enough hours to officially be termed New York metro rats, but, Sara did take a giant step towards becoming a feisty New Yorker. You can't just shove a stroller through the turnstyle, rather, you have to swipe your metro card and then wait for the attendant to open the big door for you. This never ever works because the attendant is always too busy trying to explain to tourists how to get to the Statue of Liberty without using the convenient color coding. On one occasion, Sara swiped her card and got tired of waiting for the attendant so I just went through and opened the door for her and Zoe (oddly enough, these doors are easily opened from the inside). Finally the attendant lady decided to pay attention and came a-runnin', accusing Sara of sneaking through without paying. Sara stood up really tall, which is pretty ferocious coming from her, and boldly explained the situation slowly. When that still didn't work she finally said, "Look lady, I paid". We went off into the train with the attendant lady yelling and screaming at us to come back. What a sad angry subway woman, but oh yeah, my wife's got all sorts of spunk.

Photo credits for the subway monkey picture go to my buddy and co-worker Malcolm, who we drug along with us to the Staten Island ferry. More on all that later!

No comments: