Monday, March 03, 2008

My Wife's an Award-Winning Artist!

The world needs to know that I married a stellar woman. Not only is she a little dish of cuteness, but she's also an award-winning artist! For many years Sara has entered a piece (that's fancy art lingo for "picture", sorta like how all those orchestra people always call their songs "pieces") into the Utah's Hogle Zoo Art Exhibit. I know it sounds like an exhibition of little kids' pictures of crayon monkeys, but its actually a very serious and renowned exhibit in Utah art circles, and very few of the entrants get their works put on display. All pieces must depict an animal, which is why I think it is such an important art show in Utah; a lot of the local artists specify in wildlife.

Anyhow, Sara has been submitting to the exhibit for a long time now and she always gets in. Check out the cool giraffe intaglio print she did, right behind her. Intaglio is a print technique where the artist etches the image onto a copper plate, applies ink to the etchings and then runs the plate with a moist paper on top through a printing press. She did this many times with separate plates for the foreground and background (and a number of "grounds" inbetween). The final product is really cool...cool enough to win Sara an award at the exhibition! I was so proud of her the night that the awards were handed out. A lot of people came to her to discuss all the deep meaning and technique of her art. It made me feel like I got myself quite the catch. I think it was our third date that Sara showed me her art, I remember falling in love with her so much that night!! She's like my own little Yoko.

No comments: