Friday, March 21, 2008

I love Milwaukee in the Spring time...Not!

I'm looking out the window on this, the second official day of Spring. It is quite the depressing scene as our fifth inch of snow for the day falls onto the never-plowed streets of downtown Milwaukee. Is there no mercy? I figured it would be a very appropriate time to post this picture, which was actually taken exactly two years ago in my in-laws backyard in Utah. Look at the blossoms and the mountains and the grass and the girl...what a beautiful scene! Maybe it'll start looking like this in Milwaukee before June?

And speaking of the weather, there's a statement that I hear a lot in every city I've ever been to: "If you don't like the weather here in (insert city name), just wait five minutes". Does that phrase irritate anybody else as much as me? That's how it is in every city, people, you're not special! There is another city-related statement that totally trumps that one though; "whatever happens in Vegas stays in Vegas". Gosh, I feel like a moron just for typing that. It might have been remotely clever the first time I heard it, but the 1500 times I've heard it since then are about 3000 times too many. The other day I heard it on an advertisement for one of the Crime Scene Investigation shows (I think it was the one that totally desecrates all songs by The Who), and it immediately shifted up the list to my number one obnoxious phrase slot. In case you were wondering, the previous number one was when athletes say they'll give some percentage greater than 100 of their efforts into the game. Oye, am I just an angry person, or does anyone else really get irritated by stuff like that?

4 comments:

Kason said...

And here's another one:
When people end their testimonies with "In the name of THY SON, Jesus Christ, Amen".

Kason said...

And another one:
Whenever anyone (almost always government officials and white collar criminals) say, "I do not recall" while on trial. As in, "I do not recall writing that well documented email about firing those justices".

Mike said...

The weather one definitely is annoying. And the Vegas one just encourages debauchery. The annoying stuff is all the euphemisms that athletes throw out like "we stepped it up" or "we wanted it more." The latter one I REALLY hate, because, honestly, if you ask the losers do you really think they'll say "nah, I really didn't want to win tonight. I mean, it would have been nice, but the whole time I was wishing this game was over because I rented 'Daddy Day Care' tonight and I can't WAIT to watch it!"

Donny said...

I feel as if I can't turn on the radio without hearing the phrase, "...the reality is..." followed by someone's opinion. This is a great phrase because it implies that whoever is on the other side of the argument is simply delusional. Of course, the other person argues his point, he doesn't even know what the reality is!